2010-11-14

Smitten with mittens!










 

I'm a big list person.  To do lists, to buy lists, to knit lists. 

With that in mind, I set out to plan my Smitten project before ever casting on a single stitch. 

- 3 red mittens
- 3 green mittens
- 4 red mittens with green stripes
- 4 green mittens with red stripes


... you get the point. 

I started this project with such gusto... until I realized I didn't have enough green yarn on hand to complete the project (and who wants mismatched mittens!). 

Project progress    meet    grinding halt!  

And it wasn't for lack of trying on my part.  It seems the few stores I tried just didn't have the right shade of green on hand in the appropriate fibre (ironically enough, I'm just using acryllic, the most prolific (well, colour-wise, anyway) yarn out there).  I plan to stop off at another store today with high hopes of snagging the elusive Christmas green shade I've got in mind.

In the meantime, I've decided send my Garter stitch kimono baby cardi to the frog pond.  Dividing one ball into three just wasn't my idea of soothing knitting (mainly because balls 2 and 3 kept running out of yarn!).  Instead, I've rewound the yarn back into a neat little cake and have started:

The Child's Placket Neck Sweater
Yarn: Handmaiden casbah sock yarn in blue and green
         Knitpicks Swish dk kettle dyed yarn in green
Needles: 4.0 mm (size 6)


Knitting is quick and mindless (stockinette in the round is just about one of my favourite things!).  The yarn is so soft, but this guy will need some serious blocking to even out my tension problems (I think my needles are just a bit too big for sock yarn).  Nevertheless, I'm pleased with my progress and am excited for the finished project.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. You definitely got a lot more done without us around distracting you. I love the way the colour is working out in the body of that sweater.

    ReplyDelete